Getting to Grips With… LANGUAGE TEACHING


So, I’ve been incredibly lucky in the range of teaching opportunities offered to me this year, meaning that I’ve been able to branch out from seminar teaching and try my hand at lecturing (bit.ly/2rtEaZt). This term, I’ve also been doing a bit of language teaching for an intermediate Latin class, which has allowed me to hone the skills I picked up through my initial introductory teaching training course and developed during my brief foray into language instruction to cover for staff illness last year.

I find language teaching quite different from lecturing and leading seminars because of its mixture of instruction and student engagement.  Students take an active role in their own learning process in these classes, rather than (theoretically) taking notes during lectures, or turning up with (again, theoretically) pre-prepared ideas for discussion in seminars. Plus, language teaching is great for my own personal studies and development. Even though I spend most days reading Latin, I’ve realised that I’m becoming a bit lazy in my own reading, not necessarily appreciating how and why clauses work as I go through often thinking about other things.  I was once told by a lecturer that language teaching is the best way to sharpen up your ancient language abilities, and I’ve definitely found this to be true. When preparing for classes, I try and anticipate areas which may cause students difficulty and organise (hopefully) intelligent responses to their questions and alternative ways of approaching the material, and so reach into the depths of my dusty brain to work out how best to present the topic at hand.  

The module in question covered reading of Virgil’s Eclogues alongside elements of language teaching and revision, which meant that I was able to play around with a good range of topics and materials, as well as flex my teaching muscles and try new activities and exercises with the students. Some particular highlights included…

1)    A Mysterious Intertextuality Exercise

Inspired by an activity I participated in at a Flavian Literature workshop at the University of Manchester last year (bit.ly/2jEG71N), I put together an exercise to test the critical, analytical, and logical skills of my students.  They were presented with a number of unidentified passages of Greek and Latin poetry, each with some relationship to/bearing on the Eclogue we were reading at the time.  Students had the option to work as individuals or as a group to identify all of the passages, and then establish why they had been chosen to be discussed alongside our main Latin reading for the week. I hoped that the activity would encourage the students to engage in some close reading of our Latin text (great preparation for coursework and exams) and challenge their knowledge of the wider ancient bucolic tradition.



2)    Some Exciting Unseen Translations

As part of a language revision class, I presented the students with two pieces for unseen translation.  The first of these, an extract from the Latin translation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, was used to test how quickly students can get a basic grasp of the contents of a passage without actually translating it, by identifying familiar words and scanning through its structure and organisation.



The second (the slightly more serious unseen), was taken from Pliny’s letters (Epist. 9. 33. 2-6) and contains an account of a dolphin who swims with a young boy.  This is one of my favourite Pliny letters, and was part of a collection of texts I read during the summer before my university applications.  I chose the letter (not just as an indulgent end-of-term-treat for myself), but because it combines straight-forward and manageable phrases alongside more challenging passages, many of which picked up on some of the revision topics the students had previously requested.  I really enjoyed revisiting an old favourite with the students and watching them put their hard language work into practice in unpacking some of the slightly trickier parts of the passage. Plus, the students seemed to enjoy Pliny’s tale of the dolphin!


3)    A Teaching Double Act

For the class scheduled to read the final poem of the Eclogues, Professor Bruce Gibson (the module convenor and my PhD supervisor) suggested that we teach the session together in a kind of co-teaching enterprise to round off the set text reading.  I found this session to be very exciting.  Firstly, it came with the benefit of two instructors being able to play off one another’s thoughts.  Since our research interests are not identical, and Bruce is a much more established academic than I am, we would always each bring something slightly different to the table, even when both looking at the same lines of texts.  Hopefully the students found this kind of dialogue helpful and encouraged them to consider their set text from different angles and offer alternative readings of the material. Secondly, it was really useful for me to see how another more experienced tutor approaches Latin texts with a class, and I found that this kind of mentoring experience has given me new perspectives on my own teaching.  Bruce would approach the reading and discussion of the Latin in a slightly different way to how I had been leading my classes, which provided plenty of food for thought for how I might organise and execute future language and literature classes.   




My teaching on this module allowed me to revisit a work I hadn’t really looked at since my MA year at Exeter when I did a comparative essay on the Eclogues and Theocritus’ Idylls as part of a course on Hellenistic literature.  I also got to engage with a fantastic group of students, who always came eager to get their teeth into a new part of the text, and who were prepared to contribute and often drive the classroom discussion.  Finally, being encouraged to reflect on how I teach Latin has been a valuable experience, which I hope will inform and improve my teaching in years to come…


E Over & Out
x
           

Comments

Popular Posts!

Learning to Love…Ovid!

The Importance of Going Outside

Summer of Classics 2015: Sicily and the Valle dei Templi